This is a yummy crock pot recipe that I like for the Spring and Summer. It's great for throwing on in the morning before work and finishing up when you get home. Or, letting it cook all day on a weekend when you're outside and don't feel like slaving over a hot dinner.
Pineapple Teriyaki Pulled Pork Sandwiches:
1.5 pound boneless pork shoulder (I usually end up with around a 1.7lb roast)
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 can (20oz) sliced pineapple rings in JUICE
1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice (from can)
Crock Pot (3 Qt)
1. Chop your onions and add them to your crock pot. I don't measure this exactly but usually it's about 1/2 a large onion or approximately 1/2 cup.
2. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat and brown the roast on all sides. I usually season mine with a sprinkle of salt and pepper while cooking. Cut the roast in half or thirds and place it in the crock pot. Pour in the pineapple juice and 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce on top of the onions and meat. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours (or on high for 4) or until the meat is tender.
3. Remove the roast and set it aside. In a small bowl mix together the remaining 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce and the flour until smooth. Add the mixture into the crock pot, stirring into the cooking juices and cook on high for about 30 minutes or until thickened.
4. Using 2 forks, shred the roast and return to the slow cooker. Stir into the sauce and let it heat through.
5. Serve on hamburger buns and top with a slice of pineapple!
*Makes about 6 servings