Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket

Monday, May 7, 2012

Holland (part 2) Keukenhof Flower Garden

The main reason for our trip to Holland was to go to the Keukenhof Gardens and see the tulips - and for me to photograph them. And it didn't disappoint. I've never in my life seen such a beautiful amount of flowers. Thousands and thousands  and hundreds of thousands of flowers sprawling through a maze of walkways and waterways. It was such a glorious garden, and at times a bit overwhelming.

I narrowed my photos down a lot for this post but it's still very photo heavy. I tried to give a variety of flowers so you could feel like you saw the gardens too. 





Of course the day we went, we got rained on. But the flowers were happy and the raindrops made for interesting closeups. 

There were ducks wandering between the people and baby ducks swimming in the fountains. See a pic of one of the cute baby ducks here.

It wasn't just tulips either. There were all kinds of flowering trees and lots of brightly colored flowers blooming everywhere.









There were pink tulips, red tulips, strange mixed colored tulips. Rainbow rows of tulips. Probably every tulip that ever grows.

There were flowers so dark they almost appeared black and little hearts hanging low to the ground. 

Everyone was ducked under umbrellas, but that didn't slow them down. People just kept pouring in the see the world famous "Spring Garden".







There was even a little petting zoo with pigs, goats, chickens, cows, and sheep. Ariana was determined to try to pet a chicken but they were too fast for her. She made fast friends with the pigs and the goats though.








After spending a morning in the wet gardens we were heading out to spend the afternoon in a nearby windmill town (that post will be tomorrow). As we were leaving the Keukenhof Gardens, we passed this beautiful red field of tulips and we had to pull over to take pictures. 

These weren't part of the Keukenhof, so we aren't sure who they belonged to but they made it clear they didn't want people traipsing through their tulips.



Ariana played photographer and snapped this picture of us. Pretty good, don't you think? I can't believe I let her hold my camera, even for that minute!

We spotted a rouge yellow tulip blooming in a sea of red.



It was a wonderful morning and if you made it through this post, thanks! I know it was VERY photo heavy but hopefully you enjoyed them and felt like you had a mini visit to the Keukenhof!

Part 3, the old windmill town and wooden shoe shop will be up tomorrow.


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Loved this tour of the gardens. My favorite photo was the bleeding hearts. I hope to see Holland myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all of the beautiful flowers! Ariana did an amazing job taking your picture. You have been teaching her well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm blown away! Everything is so beautiful! And I loved seeing the raindrops on everything too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sea of eye candy! that yellow tulip among all the red is like a song I remember from childhood..."I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch."

    ReplyDelete