Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket

Monday, July 16, 2012

Birthday in a Box! {DIY}



The 'birthday in a box' idea came to me when I was trying to think of something creative to send to my sister for her birthday in June. I have no idea if it's been done before or not. I love surprising my friends and family with creative things for their birthday's/holidays. The year of my sister's 21st birthday I mailed her 21 booze/party/21 related cards in the mail for her to open one each day, the 21 days leading up to her birthday. That was fun! This year since we're trying to save money (21 cards was expensive) I decided to do mail her something fun. 

I'm going to be honest here. I was relying on the postal services between Germany and the United States and I wasn't sure how balloons would react to be mailed/flown overseas. Luckily all but 2 made it, those two deflated.



STEP 1: Gather your supplies. A big box, balloons, money, glitter, tissue paper, confetti, funnel and packing materials. I made confetti by hole punching colorful paper and used gold glitter.



STEP 2: Fold your money into tiny squares and put them inside your balloons. This may take some patience. 



STEP 3: Using a funnel, put the glitter and confetti into the balloons. Blow your balloons up and tie them off. Remember they'll take up a lot of space in your box, experiment with sizes.


 STEP 4: Tape a pin into a card with a clever message. The glitter will go everywhere so warn them not to do it inside unless you want them to have to clean up a mess. (I added glitter inside my card too)

See results of pin vs balloon below.


 (My husband helped me test it out in the backyard to see how the glitter would fly.)

STEP 5: Fill your box with balloons, colorful tissue paper (and bubble wrap if you'd like, I did) and mail it off. Or drop it off at your friends doorstep, either way they're sure to be delightfully surprised!


Viola! There you have it! I fun birthday in a box!

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I loved my birthday in a box! You always know how to make me smile! It was a lot of fun!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! Love this whole idea Cat! What a sweet gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. creative, indeed! My daughter had balloons delivered to me one year at the school where I taught. But birthday in a box, I've never experienced. Grand idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea and will definitely be putting it to good use!

    ReplyDelete