Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket

Monday, June 20, 2011

Ariana's Alphabet--X


Note: Ariana's Alphabet was created out of my need for more structure and learning while playing and creating together with my 2 1/2 year old. Each week we will explore a new letter of the alphabet and incorporate different activities along the way that go with our letter of the week. See other letters we've done by clicking the Ariana's Alphabet label highlighted in blue at the bottom of this post.

This week we learned about the letter X. I think you'll be surprised with all the things we came up with.  


X is for X-ray
I made a light box/xray box. Using an under the bed storage box, I filled it with Christmas lights and darkened the room. I had printed off x-rays I found online and we had fun looking at them with our light box. We learned that those are pictures of your bones inside. We even put one of our snails on the box to see if we could see through him. It didn't work but it was fun. Later I covered these papers with clear contact paper to make them more durable so we could play with them longer.

X-rays we looked at: Hand, Frog, Snake, Fish and Turtle. These were easy for her to determine what they were just by looking.


X is for Xylophone.
We made a water Xylophone out of glasses and different amounts of water. We had fun playing with that and listening to the high notes and low notes. It was fun trying out different objects to hear how they changed the sound.



X is for "X marks the spot"
I made some paper X's and hid them around the backyard for her to find, like a hunting game. She loved this game and we played it no less than 10 times. It went along with a treasure map (marked with X) we colored, and the fact that one of her X's was a treasure--a new coloring book.


We made our own x-ray using black construction paper, silver paint, and Q-tips for bones. 


This week we're focusing on letter B!

xo's
Cat


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Your idea to make a light box is brilliant! One day, when I have kids, I'll be needing to steal some of your ideas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. Again, super awesome and creative ideas! I want you to me my teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is so creative! Loved the Xylophone!

    ReplyDelete