Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket

Monday, September 24, 2012

Home




Military life isn't always easy. There may be lots of travel and adventure and new friends along the way. But, there is also extreme bravery and sacrifices. There are lots of new bases, new people, new towns to learn your way around. New cultures, new challenges, and new houses to fit into.

While most of the time I really enjoy, in fact love (more than my husband) our life in the Air Force, there were times, like this summer, where I took a step back and realized I'm missing other things as well. Family.

Not the family you make in your home with your spouse and children, or the friends you make along the way that become like family, but the good old fashioned people who where there as you grew up. The ones who watched you blossom over the years. Who helped you up when you stumbled, and cheered you on when you were on top of the world. The family that's always waiting "back home". Wherever "back home" may be. The family that's always got a piece of your heart no matter where the military takes you.

We spent most of our time in Florida this summer, but that's not really home. Georgia is home. It's where we grew up. 

We only had a short visit to Georgia this time. My mom and sister in Florida, and my friend in South Carolina took precedent. But, we did get to stop for a day and a half in Georgia. We planned a dinner out and all those happy faces where there. All that family. All that love. 

As I looked around the table that night I felt overwhelming love and support. I needed that. I didn't even know I needed that until that night. I felt like I was soaking up the love from all around to carry me through this next year in Germany.




"My home is not a place, it is people."
Lois McMaster Bujold"Barrayar", 1991

So, while I cherish our time in the military and all the places we go, sometimes, there's nothing like "home".


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to be able to visit family and where you grew up this year! There is nothing like revisiting all the places where childhood memories were made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you to have had the time with family.

    ReplyDelete